Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Wed Aug 9, 2000  10:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Song translations

In a message dated 8/9/00 10:02:14 AM, linda@f... writes:

<< A singing translation is something completely different and is an art
form in itself. It can work with song, though IMHO most German, French
and Italian song sounds better in the original - but then, I would
understand enough words from the original anyway, so as not to get
mystified. >>

Understanding the translation or the original language is one thing; vocally
handling the word sounds themselves in either version might be more
important. For example, Brahms set word sounds particularly well for the
voice. If he had in mind, in the original German text, an "ah" vowel on a
high note for sopranos, I suspect that someone's English version of a song
with that particular pitch set on a much more closed vowel, such as "ee",
would not then yield the vocal quality intended by the composer. On the
other hand, not all composers set words well. I would recommend taking a
close look at the entire translation or English version (not the same thing)
and looking to see what vocal adjustment might be necessary.

Sincerely,

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

emusic.com