Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Wed Aug 9, 2000  10:03 pm
Subject:  Re: support too tense

Hi Jocelyn:
In our studio we have many cross over students
who take some combination of dance/voice/drama
and there are certain focuses of each discipline
which can contradict the others.
Dancers do have to be pulled up and pulled
in for turns, leaps etc. but...they can achieve
natural, relaxed singing voices.
If they have danced from 3yrs. old to 14 yrs. old
and then begin to sing, they have more issues
about relaxing the body than those who start both
types of classes at 10 or 12.
Ballet training forms the most rigid body stiffness
due to the type of training required.
Jazz is great cuz there's a lot of looseness required
in laybacks and certain types of choreography.
Anyway...my 2 cents :
I work on a lot of breathing exercises and even
have them move around the room a little while
vocalizing.
Also...when I sense tension...we do a "yawn prep"
which is to physically inhale with the mouth open
and attempt to cause oneself to yawn. It also
opens up the back of the throat and does relax
the student.
I believe Alexander is also a great concept but
I'm not sure if it's necessary yet.
Even having them gently swing their arms while
they sing can take the focus off of holding everything
so tightly and they are more relaxed.
Good luck with them...Although they don't have to
have singing lessons to be in a dance troupe, in
professional theatre nowadays the tripple threat is
the person who can sing/dance/act; all at a performance
level. A dancer in a chorus of a musical still must be
able to sing (I've had experience with students who
have auditioned and have been chosen over others
because they also could sing well). Of course, it
depends on the show etc etc etc.
Good luck.
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre)
"There's no business like show business"

emusic.com