Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Wed Aug 9, 2000  4:07 am
Subject:  performing and technique

I've been lurking for a while learning Church Slavonic for the Rachmaninoff Vespers that we are performing tomorrow evening as part of the Festival Vancouver Main Stage Series.  I have been interested in the discussions on acting and singing that are current, and have a wonderful quote that I heard Stuart Hamilton, the incomparable Canadian vocal coach give at a weekend master class on French music (his speciality).  I have this framed on my studio wall:  "It is not possible to express a lofty thought or a beautiful idea with poor technique. Musical singing is possible only after developing the basic tools to perform with thoughtful expression and beauty."  If any one knows the origin of this quote, I would appreciate finding out!  I also ask my students to always perform in public within the boundaries of their personal zones of comfort, presentation and musicianship, but in the studio and while practising, push those boundaries and even step a ways outside them, so that they are always expanding.

Cheers, Craig
Burnaby BC

emusic.com