Vocalist.org archive

From:  Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
Date:  Wed Aug 9, 2000  3:41 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Estill Workshop

Martha, The workshop was not really about "belting". It was more about
how the voice works based on her research since the late 1960's. It sort
of takes the "apparatus" apart and teaches you how to control it in
various ways to achieve different voice qualities, belting being one of
them. I always thought that belting was pushing the "chest voice" up,
but it isn't and I did find my belt voice, but it was very difficult for
me. She scared me the first day by saying she didn't know about breath,
however, she simply meant that it was not a part of her research, not
that breath control wasn't necessary. It turns out that speech quality
in the lower range is the quality used in pop, Musical Theatre (when not
belting). The idea, as I interpret it, and perhaps Dr. Diane can chime
in, is to be able to consciously change qualities depending on the mood
or interpretation you wish to achieve. Belting is for high notes and not
for the full range. The most valuable thing I learned was keeping the
false folds retracted. I had always been taught that constriction was in
the base of the tongue and keeping the tongue loose and flat and yawning
would keep it open, but i heard this idea work on a whole group of
voice teachers. As far as teaching my students to belt--not until I can
master it myself and have more than a passing understanding of it. The
best part of the experience was the energy , openmindedness and spirit
of the participants. I'm not going to throw the baby out with the
bathwater by any means, but as I become more adept with Jo Estill's
ideas on myself, then I can pass them on to others. I've only scratched
the surface and caution is always necessary. Anne

emusic.com