Vocalist.org archive

From:  I AM MY OWN EVIL TWIN <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Aug 7, 2000  5:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "Honest" singers

I came as something of a novice to both acting and solo singing only a few
years ago. I've found that you can't do it just be being 'honest' - you always
hhave to be aware of many technical things, and for me that is one of the
things that makes it so satisfying: one is totally caught up in a rich and
complex activity part of which is to convey something emotionally convincing to
an audience in such as a way that they can totally suspend disbelief at how
stylized it all is. Such is the power of music, and the charms of the human
voice that they are often quite prepared to accept a smoothe legato line
expressing what would normally be a series of blurts interrupted by long
silences. Likewise with gestures. Natural gestures are often too jerky to
do much more than distract on a stage. I'm sure most actors admired for the
naturalism of their performance practice all sorts of physical economies,
and I have little doubt that the great Callas was one of them. If she
has become a habitual target of people saying "Of course her technique was
flawed' - well, I believe it was a stylistic thing that had a price, which
we must all be grateful she was willing to pay. john
(I'm on holiday just now so accessing my e-mail is awkward, so please don't
be upset if I can't acknoledge any response to this portion of this thread.j

emusic.com