Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sat Aug 5, 2000  2:20 pm
Subject:  learning acting

Being fortunate enough to live in San Francisco, I
attend the opera a lot, and have something of an
obsession with observing the young artists (generally
some four or five years older than I am) in the Merola
program. Since the program is so prestigious, it's a
given that all of the young artists have fabulous and
technically secure voices. What makes one or another
stand out is really their stage presence (or their
acting -- I'm not sure how those two things differ),
although once in a while there is a force-of-nature
voice that sweeps all else away. For the most part,
though, what captivates an audience is what kind of
energy you radiate while on stage (I think that's
acting, too). It is definitely an important skill for
all singers today (although I still maintain that it
is the step after basic technical security has been
achieved).

Dr. Hanson and Dr. Diane have convinced me to get a
hold of one of Wesley Balk's books -- I have
Performing Power sitting in front of me -- but my
question is: is it possible to learn acting from a
book? The concept seems so unlikely. Must you go to
one of Balk's seminars (although I'm sure they're
fabulous) to get the full benefit of his teachings?
Are there private acting coaches out there anymore (I
know Lillian Nordica had an acting lesson every
morning before her singing lesson every afternoon, but
that was then), and what do they do (and could I
reproduce whatever that is with a camcorder in my
living room)? Does acting in straight theater help
(and is Shakespeare better than modern theater)? What
can we actually do, as actors, to improve?

Perhaps all the answers are in the pages ahead. But I
look forward to advice from those who have actively
sought this skill as well.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

3289 Re: learning acting Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  8/5/2000   2 KB
3290 Re: learning acting sopran@a...   Sat  8/5/2000   7 KB
3291 Re: learning acting Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  8/5/2000   3 KB
3318 Re: learning acting Elizabeth Finkler   Mon  8/7/2000   4 KB
3321 Re: learning acting Lloyd W. Hanson   Tue  8/8/2000   3 KB
3325 Re: learning acting sopran@a...   Tue  8/8/2000   3 KB
3343 Re: learning acting Kylie Purcell   Tue  8/8/2000   2 KB
3327 Re: learning acting DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTM   Tue  8/8/2000   2 KB
3332 Re: learning acting peggyh@i...   Tue  8/8/2000   3 KB

emusic.com