Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 4, 2000  11:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "Honest" singers

In a message dated 08/04/2000 1:34:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

<< I have observed this sort of thing myself, and my teacher and I share
these observations and discuss them from time to time. I call that sort of
performance - not bad, but one that I don't believe: "ACTING". >>

I use the word that way, too. For me, it comes from a rehearsal for the
first musical I ever worked as an Assistant Stage Manager for. I was on
book, which means that I was responsible for tossing out lines for people who
had forgotten theirs. I waited for a long time for this one guy to get to
his next line, decided he was lost, then gave him his line. He got
incredibly offended, drew himself up to his full height, looked at me
indignantly and said, "I was ACTING!" I'm pleased to say that I refrained
from saying "Could have fooled me."
Coming from a very strong theatrical background secondary to my musical
training, I have a real bone to pick with singers who lose the feeling for a
piece or a role. As far as I'm concerned, the acting is not somehow added on
after the role is technically secure. It has to be built in from the
beginning. Honesty of expression and emotion is so important in singing,
whether it be lieder or opera or jazz. I tell my students all the time that
I don't care how technically perfect a singer is, if they're just singing the
notes, they're not doing their job.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com