Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@i...>
Date:  Thu Aug 3, 2000  7:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] problems singing with a mic.

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I felt that the problems I was
having were more mic. related than technique related, and you have really
helped to confirm this belief. As for the suggestion to do without mic's,
I'd say this particular choir probably doesn't need mic's, but has become
reliant upon them. While the acoustics of the church might not match those
of some fine old European cathedrals, they really are adequate for singing
unmiked. It's amazing to me how most churches around here are so heavily
miked-including soloists and cantors. Is this an American thing, a
regional (southern US) thing, or just a modern age thing, I wonder?

I sometimes find myself tempted to pull back my voice and sing in a mushy
little microphone voice so I don't stick out like a sore thumb in a miked
choir, but I fight it. Interestingly, what I find is when I don't hold
back, others around me tend to sing out (i.e. better technique) with me.
Choirs are interesting a study in psychology that way, i.e. if I sing
dark, others around me tend to sing dark. And if I sing bright, they tend
to sing bright. I can say it is a great feeling to be at a point in my
singing where I am not the one so influenced by the technique and style of
those around me.

Thanks again for all the wonderful feedback!
Sandra

> My question: does this choir really need microphones,
> are the church acoustics so bad? I can hardly imagine,
> all churches I've seen had very good acoustics (ok, in
> Europe, I admit).

emusic.com