Vocalist.org archive

From:  radishes@r...
Date:  Wed Aug 2, 2000  8:29 pm
Subject:  Re: New job, new worries...

Hello,
I'm a teenager who just recently crossed into the "intermediate"
level in my studying. The material I began learning to sing with is
hence fresh in my mind.

Someone has already mentioned the Handel aria collections (in
both 'high' and 'low'). I also strongly recommend various Purcell
pieces, which are kind of like minimally-hefty Handel :) Most of
pieces I learned in my early years of training that are still with me
today are the Purcell ones (they can be appreciated on a multitude of
levels). I particularily recommend "Strike the Viol," "Nympths and
Shepherds," "Music for a While" (for intermediate voices) and "Turn
then thine Eyes" and "Sound the Trumpet" (duets). The text in these
pieces is simple and repetitive, the melodies are pretty, and as I
said, the vocal aspect of them can be appreciated by a seasoned
singer or a beginner.

In Italian: For beginner sopranos (and possibly tenors) the Bellini
art songs might also be a good bet (Vaga luna che inargenti is simple
musically and rhythmically---it also falls in a comfortable range).
Also never underestimate the value of the Schirmer "Yellow Book."

In German: The Brahms Volkslieder are all excellent for introducing
students to the lieder form as well as beginning study in German
diction. The Volkslieder melodies are incredibly beautiful, yet they
lose some of their power when sung by an older more "developed"
singer. I particularily recommend for young singers:
"Erlaube mir, fein's Mädchen"
"Da unten im Tale"
"Maria ging aus wandern"

The last is a little dramatic and solemn (and more difficult because
of the dissonant accompaniment) but still an excellent choice.

Best of luck,

---Kate Reid

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, "Bill McPherson"
<billmcphe@a...> wrote:
> It has been awhile since I have been on this list. I just never
> seemed to have enough time to keep up with all the posts here, so I
> gave up. As a choir director, that was no problem, but since I am
> taking a new position as voice instructor at East Texas Baptist
> Univeristy, I thought it would be a good idea to immerse myself in
> the guru's knowledge found here.
>
> I have a question for anyone willing to share. Could you list for
me
> your top 10 (5-10, whatever) pieces for younger voices by type? If
> you feel more comfortable listing only one voice part, that is
> great. I am just looking for variety and pieces that my students
> can be successful with. I tried to do an archive search on the
> vocalist site, but it didn't want to cooperate.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> David Grogan

emusic.com