Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Wed Aug 2, 2000  5:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] problems singing with a mic.

Sounds like a similar experience that I've had in my home church. I
frequently have to stand 6-8 inches minimum from the mics because there
is a lot of feedback on either the louder sections or the higher pitches
or, if singing with others i.e. "Praise Team", I tend to drown most of
the other singers out. The only reason I agree to use one when singing a
solo is because my home church tapes the services for shut-ins, etc.
Also, keep in mind that many church sound systems are not of the highest
caliber & the people running them aren't always trained in the "finer
points" of running them &, therefore, your sound might wind up being less
than you hoped for.

When singing with others, mics are used to balance out the voices. i.e.
I've sung duets & trios with others & I frequently have to move away from
the mic & the person running the sound system turns my mic down & the
other person/people will have to "swallow" the mic &/or the person
running the sound systems turns their mic up in order to balance the
voices. On the other hand, I've sung a few times outside & I have to
"swallow" those mics in order to be heard. It just seems to be the nature
of the venue.

My experiences with a mic in my lessons usually involve taping a coaching
session, taping text in a foreign language for personal review or having
a coach tape an accompaniment for me to practice with. The mic is 5-6
feet away & the focus at these times almost never has to do with
projection or volume related issues.

Generally, unless its outside or a tape is being made, I prefer to forego
using a mic. They tend to expose a "multitude of sins". Let's face it:
opera houses & orchestra halls are built with acoustics in mind,
stadiums, auditoriums that seat thousands & outdoor venues are not &,
therefore, even singers like Domingo have to be "miked".

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 21:04:39 -0500 "Sandra" <sandra@i...> writes:

> ----------
> > From: BillyANM@a...
> > To: vocalist-temporary@egroups.com
> > Subject: Re: [vocalist-temporary] problems singing with a mic.
> > Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 8:45 PM
> >

> > << My instructor does occasionally turn the
> > mic. down during lessons because, per his words, I'm "blowing out
> the
> mic."
> am training to sing without a mic. If I am "blowing out the mic" on
> a mic.
> in a small studio room (by studio room, I mean "room where I take
> lessons",
> not a recording studio), it generally means I am projecting well to
> sing
> unmiked across a cathedral, I believe.

I am studying with an instructor