Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Jul 27, 2000  8:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Tenor head voice (longish; or: how a ll my vocal problems vanished:))

Dre,
This and your other big post gave me so much to think about. Good stuff!
And also Michael Mayer's response to your post which is the kind of
dialogue that makes Vocalist a great place to be. I shall finally perform
'Dichterliebe' in a couple of weeks. I first started working on it in a low
voice version, but now I'm doing the Fischer Dieskau keys, which gives me
the the high 'A's as well. There are so many different ways of doing this!
I presume this is a cycle I shall return to frequently as long as I sing,
though my heart still belongs to Schubert (and Bach and Wagner {and
Brahms}]). john

At 11:04 PM 7/26/00 +0200, you wrote:
> Dear Laurie, Colin, John, Mr. Hanson (Lloyd?) and list, ...
>Has this persisted? If it has, I'm glad.
>>>

>Yes, it has, although it got less easy after a few days, because then I
>had a fall back, while working on 'Ich grolle nicht' from 'Dichterliebe',
>which has two mean a's (even for a tenor, you see John!). But I managed
>finally ... Now I finally can make a complete
>diminuendo on the '(Ver)langen' in 'Im wunderschoenen Monat Mai' (G4 to
>F4sharp) while keeping the tone completely relaxed and beautiful, and
>there is nothing that makes me so happy (musically spoken) as to be able
>to sing a note exactly as I think it should ideally be. (And nothing that
>irritates me more than if I know how I want to sing it, but I cannot!)
>Best greetings, Dre

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada