Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Jul 27, 2000  6:13 pm
Subject:  Re: is icecream bad for voice? (Dear, sensible Lloyd)

Very, very true. Judy Garland was a singularly exciting performer, and
Maria Callas a revered opera artist, yet I would question whether either
lady's lifestyle was healthy, vocally or otherwise.

I would also suggest that one size does NOT fit all. Another Vocalister
suggested that one can obtain Vitamin D from ten minutes of exposure to the
sun, but, given my complexion and a family history of skin cancers (the mild
kind, thank G*d), I'm more concerned about going out in the sun without a
hat than any ill effects associated with the milk in my coffee.

(BTW, where is dear, sensible Graham Sanders when we need him? I remember
an old post in which he boasted of drinking REAL BEER on stage while singing
a principal role in "Meistersinger.")

Liz, who is eating veggie today

>From: "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
>Vocalisters:
>
>Thank you for your response, Roger, to my rather hasty response to
>Carlo's post about calcium in the stomach. And a special thanks for
>the info on Mark Baxter from his web page.
>
>I should also have said more clearly that that the performance
>qualities of a singer should not be used as criteria to evaluate
>his/her knowledge as an authority on body functions, be they singing
>functions or, in this case, stomach functions. In fact, the
>performing qualities of a singer in no way guarantee their
>effectiveness as a voice teacher. Each is a learned skill that takes
>years of study and experience.
>
>Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

I think gasoline should cost 49 cents a gallon. No, darn it, make that 29
cents a gallon! Also the gas-station attendants should pump it for you. And
when you get home, you should be able to watch Milton Berle on your Philco
TV. --Dave Barry