Vocalist.org archive

From:  JJHolzmeier@w...
Date:  Wed Jul 26, 2000  3:34 am
Subject:  OTL's, fach, and stroboscopy

Hello! I've been lurking from home this summer, reading Vocalist from
the world of WebTV. WebTV is....different. Not terribly
sophisticated, but at least I'm able to do personal e-mail and web
surfing from the comfort of my couch!

I have some questions for the Vocalist regarding the items in the
subject line. Some background:

I have a student, 22 years old, who had a vocally taxing year, in
addition to making the switch from choral alto to choral soprano (she
had already begu the transition with some previous teachers before I
started working with her in the fall of 1999). After a couple of months
of vocal rest, we're back to lessons, but her symptoms persist: a
feeling of strain in the neck/throat while she sings, and general lack
of stamina. Some days she says she can only sing for 15 minutes before
she becomes fatigued and discouraged.

I think I know exactly what's going on: habituated tension in the
neck/throat, a high larynx, and problems with support. (I would like to
stress that high-larynx is not a part of the technique I use or teach.)
I think I know how to deal with all these things. And some of the
symptoms might be somewhat typical of a voice in transition (except for
the greatly decreased stamina; that one really has me worried). In my
experience, the switch from mezzo to soprano can be very frustrating.

Last week, my student decided, and I agreed, that seeing an OTL would be
a good idea. After such a strenuous year, and with continuing symptoms,
we both wanted to make sure there was no injury to her folds.

The doctor that she consulted comes very highly recommended. If you're
in the Lincoln-Omaha area, this is the OTL to see because he has a
proven and successful track record with singers.

First, the good news: no nodes, no polyps, no irritation or swelling
from reflux, no pathology whatsoever! He also said he could see the
folds when she was phonating, so excess tension didn't seem like a
plausible explanation for him.

Now comes the part that I found...surprising. After the examination,
which was performed using a laryngeal mirror, he diagnosed that she was
really a mezzo. From what I gather, he based the decision on her
symptoms and her speaking voice (which is somewhat low).

Again, I would like to stress that this is a good doctor I'm talking
about. I have the utmost respect for him because I know he's helped
many singers and teachers in the area. I'm just trying to say that his
diagnosis is outside of my realm of experience, and I'd like to ask for
input from the list. I have two questions, specifically:

1. Can a diagnosis about fach be made in a brief examination? I guess
I'd have to open this question up to cover diagnoses by OTL's and voice
teachers alike. Would a diagnosis on voice type by a physician or a
voice teacher ideally be based on observations over time?

Although I must admit: my student's symptoms would certainly point to
the idea that she was singing out of her fach. Singing out of one's
optimum range could certainly cause that kind of strain, fatigue, and
lack of stamina. It's something that she and I had both thought about.

With that said, everything I hear from her over the past year says
"soprano." When she's healthy and singing efficiently, she has an
amazingly thrilling top. Her timbre suggests soprano rather than
mezzo. Her middle range is clear, but not huge or booming. I realize
these qualities could point to lyric or even dramatic mezzo, or back to
soprano as well. I know good deal about fach, but the finer points
could encompass a lifetime of study--may some of you can help me with
this.

2. Can the most dependable observations about vocal dysfunctions such
as these be made without a stroboscopic exam?

People I respect at the VoiceCare Network say no. Especially regarding
persistent vocal dysfunction, they maintain that a stroboscopic exam is
an important part of the complete diagnostic process (along with taking
patient history and observing the patient speak, read, and sing). They
also recommend use of the flexible nasal scope so the patient can sing
more freely on both vowels and consonants.

Once more, for the record, I would like to stress that I really respect
OTL's, including our esteemed colleagues on the Vocalist, and this
doctor as well. This is a particularly interesting situation for me,
because I have always put my faith in medical science. In fact, I don't
disagree with him 100%. As for her fach, that will reveal itself
eventually. But I would appreciate some feedback from the list on this.

This student is a fabulous talent (looks great, wonderful instrument,
superb actress); a real shining star. Right now she's concerned about
getting ready for grad school auditions, if we can get her restored to
optimum.

I thank you in advance for your input!

Jana, reachable now at:

JJHolzmeier@w...
OR
jjh@n...

(apologies for any typos or errors--WebTV uses a wireless keyboard which
is quite nifty, but I've discovered I can actually type faster than the
keyboard can transmit to the terminal!:-)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3151 Re: OTL's, fach, and stroboscopy leskayc@a...   Wed  7/26/2000   3 KB
3154 Re: OTL's, fach, and stroboscopy Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  7/26/2000   8 KB
3160 Re: OTL's, fach, and stroboscopy D. M. Moore   Wed  7/26/2000   3 KB

emusic.com