Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Jul 25, 2000  2:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] is icecream bad for voice?

Dear James and Vocalisters:

The epiglottis closes over the vocal folds when we swallow. It is
brought down into this protective position by the raising of the
larynx which naturally occurs during the act of swallowing. If, by
chance, we attempt to inhale as we swallow the epiglottis will be
delayed in its descent and it is then possible for food to approach
the vocal fold area which triggers a cough. The cough is the body's
natural response to expel the offending material. We often describe
this irritation/cough response as "something went down the wrong
pipe."

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy