Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Jul 25, 2000  4:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] is icecream bad for voice?

Dear Vocalisters:

Ice cream does not glop up the vocal folds. The vocal folds are not
in contact with the food we eat unless we experience an extreme
coughing to clear that area. Contrary to many old wives tales what
one eats does not directly affect the vocal folds either positively
or negatively. Sucking lemons will not, for example, clear the vocal
folds. To repeat, the vocal folds do not come in contact with the
food we eat. They are, however, one of the last lines of defense to
keep food out of the lungs and for this reason they will trigger a
cough to move the offending food back into the mouth for proper
swallowing.

However, some people experience an increase in the creation of phlegm
from dairy products and, within a period of time after eating said
products will have more than the usual amount of phlegm to contend
with.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy