Vocalist.org archive

From:  Joel Figen <natural@w...>
Date:  Sun Jul 23, 2000  6:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re:Religion-Nationalism-Politics and Sexism in Music!

At 02:50 PM 07/23/2000 +1000, Reg Boyle wrote:
> Now here's a challenge. I understand the desire to keep this
>list as sterile as possible, but I suggest that is a bit too idealistic,
>especially
>in view of the content of, and history surrounding much of the music we
>know and love. At the moment I'm singing in a Schubert mass in Latin in a
>Presbyterian Church ; a Scottish church, in Australia. Obviously some
>choir members prepared to sing Bach, baulk at Schubert, or is it the Latin or
>possibly something else? <snip>

Well, I've seen all too many lists pass from peace to war over
issues like religion, politics, and sexuality....

I'd say it's fine to speak of the history of a piece, period, or
composer, even where religion is involved. That's most
interesting stuff, and most people can discuss it without making
it personal.

What I hope not to see here are discussions of religion that get
personal, with people trying to defend their religions, or their
understanding of various religions, against perceived attacks,
which may not even exist, but you know how that can go, and
worst of all, I'd hate to see any proselytism or religious
put-downs.

Given the proven history of religious discussions beginning
harmlessly and quickly escalating into internet warfare, I would
vote to keep this list squeaky-clean. So, in the case of your
presbyterian choir, I think it's enough to know that some of them
don't like Schubert, and we don't have to analyze their reasons.
From where I stand, it wouldn't really be respectful to analyze
them anyway. De gustibus, and all that.

emusic.com