Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Jul 23, 2000  5:50 am
Subject:  Re:Religion-Nationalism-Politics and Sexism in Music!

Hi all,
Now here's a challenge. I understand the desire to keep this
list as sterile as possible, but I suggest that is a bit too idealistic,
especially
in view of the content of, and history surrounding much of the music we
know and love. At the moment I'm singing in a Schubert mass in Latin in a
Presbyterian Church ; a Scottish church, in Australia. Obviously some
choir members prepared to sing Bach, baulk at Schubert, or is it the Latin or
possibly something else?
I think it's interesting that in order that harmony be retained,
mutterings and free speech have to be subject to considerable restraint when
simple honesty and openness together with self imposed moderation
promises to be more productive. I guess I'm suggesting that the unwritten
rules as applied to this list are in need of some relaxation.
The conservative may disagree with the liberal, just as the
Russians may not particularly value Mozart's music. So what? Just life's
rich tapestry. As one fine old chap remarked, " I wonder what the Elders
would think about this music being performed in their church?"
He has a beautiful bass voice still, and writes most moving
poetry in spite of having been involved in some of the most horrific
actions of the European war. He has no illusions.
Someone said " Insecurity makes humans of us all."
So what does security suggest I wonder? Just because it was Lenin, I think,
who uttered those words, that will make them correct in the view of some
but not of others. But they are neither political; nationalist, religious
nor sexist.
At this stage self-moderation restrains me from including
the opposite example;)

Regards Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3096 Re: Religion-Nationalism-Politics and Sexism in M Joel Figen   Sun  7/23/2000   3 KB

emusic.com