Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Yvonne Dechance" <ydechance@h...>
Date:  Tue Jul 18, 2000  5:41 pm
Subject:  Re: weight training

Isabelle wrote: "If a singer wants to weight train (lightly, now, not
body building), are there any exercises that will
contribute positively to the singing process?"

I've started Pilates training this year and absolutely love it. The
exercises reduce stress (really), increase flexibility, strengthen the body
without exhausting it, and reinforce the kind of whole-body alignment and
movement that Alexander technique teaches. It dramatically improves support,
and gives singers a better physical feel for what "support" is.

There are various kinds of Pilates exercises, including exercises done on a
mat, and others done on a sliding-platform machine. I do the
machine-exercises instead of the mat-work, because the machine allows me to
combine resistance exercise with flexibility training. The mat-work is good
too though, more portable and less of an investment; I frequently recommend
it for my students.

You can check out a Pilates workshop in your area, or find a variety of
videos and home equipment online. If anyone wants specific links, email me
privately and I'll send you my list.

-y

Dr. Yvonne Dechance
National Webmaster, http://www.nats.org/