Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Tue Jul 18, 2000  3:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] weight training?

> If a singer wants to weight train (lightly, now, not
> body building), are there any exercises that will
> contribute positively to the singing process?
>
> I have heard that situps, for example, are bad for
> singers -- they are the wrong type of ab muscles to
> work, and can make the breathing muscles tight and
> inflexible.

The only really bad thing about weight training is if it is done
incorrectly. Forcing pressure against a closed glottis can irritate the
vocal folds, even causing damage.

Correct weight training and exercising does not allow for held breath. Air
is to move in and out during the exercise.

Sit ups done Marine style will not help singing in my opinion. Crunches,
done properly, can improve posture and abdominal wall strength and the
iliopsoas group which is involved in support.

If you want to exercise, (and you should), do cardiovascular aerobic
exercise. This will increase your stamina, and improve your air handling
capability. Weight training improves strength and balance but is more
important for a dancer than a singer.

John

John Messmer, M.D., Medical Director
University Physician Group, Palmyra, PA

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3053 Re: weight training? M.J. Ruhl   Tue  7/18/2000   2 KB

emusic.com