Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Mon Jul 17, 2000  9:34 pm
Subject:  weight training?

If a singer wants to weight train (lightly, now, not
body building), are there any exercises that will
contribute positively to the singing process?

I have heard that situps, for example, are bad for
singers -- they are the wrong type of ab muscles to
work, and can make the breathing muscles tight and
inflexible. But then, I have heard from some singers
who swear by situps as part of their fitness routine.
So I'm a bit confused there.

Obviously, the best way to strengthen the singing
muscles is to sing -- but one can only do that so many
hours a day, and surely if those muscles were able to
be isolated and strengthened on their own, it would
help, yes?

Back machine exercises? Do arms and legs contribute
to singing? I would think that singers would avoid
anything that builds muscle (and perhaps stiffness or
muscle-bound tension) in the neck, but perhaps the
shoulders could use some strengthening in a
complementory way?

What about breathing exercises? I know that many
teachers have some exercises that their students begin
a session with -- lying on the back and exhaling a
long "sssss," for example -- does anyone do these?
Are they for endurance (lung capacity) or strength
(various torso muscles), and what sorts of things do
you do?

Weight training. Advice? Experience? Verdict on the
situp?

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

3039 Re: weight training? Alain Zürcher   Mon  7/17/2000   3 KB
3046 Re: weight training? Patricia M Smith   Tue  7/18/2000   4 KB
3056 Re: weight training? Reg Boyle   Wed  7/19/2000   2 KB
3050 Re: weight training? John Messmer, M.D.   Tue  7/18/2000   3 KB
3053 Re: weight training? M.J. Ruhl   Tue  7/18/2000   2 KB
3057 Re: weight training? Patricia M Smith   Wed  7/19/2000   3 KB
3064 Re: weight training? Michael Mayer   Wed  7/19/2000   6 KB
3066 Re: weight training? Lisa M Olson   Wed  7/19/2000   3 KB

emusic.com