Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Sat Jul 15, 2000  7:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] repertoire request

The Hal Leonard collection of spirituals is: "Spirituals for Soloists" &
comes in high & low, with or without CD. Some of the pieces are in the
same keys in both books with cued notes for a higher voice. The
arrangements are good, some of the more exceptional ones are by Mark
Hayes and Jay Althouse who both are mostly know for their choral
arrangements.

Some other English language Psalm settings that I have done include:
"Out of the Depths" (Ps. 130) by Alan Hovannes
"How Lovely are thy Dwellings" (Ps. 54) by Samuel Liddle (This is an old
war horse)
"I Will Lift up Mine Eyes" (Ps. 121) by Sven Lekberg
"The Lord Reigns" (Ps. 97 ) by Eugene Butler

The person looking for music for CS services could probably use these.

You may have to go searching for some of these things. These are things
that my teacher has shared with me from books out of her library &,
frankly, I never really paid much attention to which books they were
from. The difficulty level varies.

Another nice collection that is still in print is "Celebration of
Melody", the music of Mary Elizabeth Caldwell (Can't use this one for CS
services!).

People really like "A Simple Song" from Bernstein's "Mass". Its kind of
jazzy...great for summer "ordinary time" & it works well for soprano, as
well as tenor. Try to round up a flutist or oboist as noted in the part,
the effect is great (clarinet works too but, obviously, the part will
have to be transposed).

The web site that was given earlier in this onging discussion is great if
you can do foreign language & Latin repertoire but that type of thing
doesn't work at my home church.

Have fun!
Pat