Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Fri Jul 14, 2000  4:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] which language is best?

Isabelle-

I can't tell you which language is best to study. I went with German because I
was drawn to it. I have always been drawn to Lieder and to Germanic composers
(Mozart, Mahler, Schubert, Stauss), and because when I was 10 years old, I
decided I wanted to sing at the Wiener Staatsoper (I am not sure that will ever
happen, but it was a great motivator). I sing a lot of Italian rep, some
French, and certainly, as you know, American singers are expected to sing every
language correctly. But German is the only language I feel comfortable
conversing with natives in. I have been to Germany and to Austria several
times and I always feel that my language skills triple in strength while I'm
there. I think it is best to go with what YOU feel you are drawn to, rather
than what you are SUPPOSED to do. I've said it before, and I'll say it
again... there is ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat.

Lisa-Marie
--

emusic.com