Vocalist.org archive

From:  Oberon603@a...
Date:  Fri Jul 14, 2000  8:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Boston Poppea With Bejun Mehta (= yeaaaah

Actually he's singing Ottone. They will be using a Mezzo for Nerone. From
what I have heard so far, he can sing up to about F at the top of the staff
(maybe and F#). Not quite as high as Daniels, but high enough for most Male
Alto parts. When I first heard him I was shocked by the size of his voice.
It's huge for a countertenor, and sooooooo expressive. He doesn't use chest,
at least from what I heard. I usually like my countertenors to have a chesty
core at the bottom of the range; however when he takes his voice down low, it
doesn't fade away the way most countertenors do. It's loud from top to
bottom. He can also sing soft, his pianissimos do float. I think his
trademark though is the color of his voice, and the agility. The timber is
ravishing, and he moves it around very fast. He also likes to do very
interesting ornaments. Not the same ones that you have heard in the same
arias over the years. His trill could use a little work, but I think you
will like him.

Kenneth Ealy
Primo Uomo

"An opera begins long before the curtain goes up, and ends long after it has
come
down. It starts in my imagination, it becomes my life, and it stays part of my
life long after I've left the opera house." Maria Callas

emusic.com