Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Thu Jul 13, 2000  8:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] which language is best?

> Also: Is the only way to achieve this fluency to live
> in the country, or can it be done

What I can say as an English teacher is that fluency depends a lot on your
ability to get rid of your first language influence and on the input you
have. I think it'll help a lot if you look for methods based on corpus
linguistics and teachers who apply them. Concerning pronunciation, English
as a Second or Foreign Language books on pronunciation are very nice, but
I'm not so sure it's the same about the teaching of other languages. I think
it must be helpful for you to contact a linguistics department of a big
university in a country that speaks the language you're will to study and
ask about the material they use to teach their native students their
phonetics. It's generally more helpful than any advice you can get from
native teachers, since they generally take their pronunciation for granted.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com