Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Wed Jul 12, 2000  12:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Movie about Castrati?

Rodge wrote:

> I thought the whole breaking glass thing was a myth. Does it
> really happen?

To tell you the truth, I think I meant to say he broke 'glass', not glasses,
but I think it's still unusual. When Kiri Te Kanawa came to Brazil she would
rehearse in the hotel. According to the newspapers, she had developed a
'method' of avoiding cracking window panes: she would ask the hotel staff to
open all the windows in the rehearsing area so that they could shake without
anything holding them tight.

I think it depends on the exact kind of resonance you get in your mouth, so
that it matches the one in the object. I sometimes take some 'old' buses
where only a window or a certain object keeps shaking while the others seem
completely still. It's the same phenomemon.

But listen to Edson Cordeiro and his incredible range. It'll start making
sense. If you read German you may find something interesting in Altavista,
since he went to Vienna last year to perform in an opera ( I think Don
Juan ). There are some reviews there that I can't read.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com