Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Wed Jul 12, 2000  3:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Movie about Castrati?

> Yes; in a way ! I have found sound clips of Edson Cordeiro on
mazon.com - he apparently
> sings "disco" material, and the information about his vocal range is not
well illustrated in these
> clips; he does not appear to have recorded any classical music,
either...unless someone knows
> otherwise ? I cannot see how he could have been suitable for the eponymous
role of Farinelli in
> the film....unless

Yeah, he has turned 'disco'! That was in fact when he came out ( of the
closet, I mean. ) Before that, he was much different. He's got something
very nice. He's one of the best interepreter of songs I've ever heard in my
whole life ( except when singing disco, of course. I can't be touched by
"It's raining men" :-), but he has always been ( TOO ) eclectic. Try to
listen to these CDs:

1st CD: Edson Cordeiro ( this debut is great also for the arrangements )
Creole Love Call - duke Elllington
La Séguedille- Bizet
Naturtrane- Nina Hagen
Sometimes I feel like a motherless child- Morrison
Kiss- prince
Mercedez Benz- J. Joplin
and... Queen of the Night- Mozart + I can't get no satisfaction- Rolling
Stones*
and other Brazilian pop songs
* This one deserves special attention: He sings the aria as a soprano and a
female rock singer with a very masculine voice ( and look. She's also come
out, BTW ) sings the Stones' hit ( they're mixed up. Really wild! ). He
broke many glasses and mirrors in theaters singing that live.

2nd CD:Edson Cordeiro ( very creative titles, hein?! )
The ones that may interest you in this CD are:
Coming - from Orlando ( sounds like made to order, I should add )
Alle-Psalite cum-Luya - although it's identified and sung ( with overdubs )
as Gregorian chanting, a local critic said it was wrong: it was composed
after and as a reaction to poliphony, but that, as he said, may add some
more interest to it )
Spirit in the Dark- A. Franklin- Great gospel!
Estrela do Mar- You don't know, I didn't know it, but it'll probably please
you.
Babalu- Lecuona
Boi Bumba- with incidental Villa-Lobos Number 5 Bachianas.
the rest... well, it's the rest!

3rd CD: Terceiro Sinal ( finally a creative title )
This is maybe his best cd, both as a singer ( more balanced ) and with a
small orchestra. Highlights:
Ombra mai fu - Aria from Xerxes opera
Lascia ch'io pianga - Yes! Farinelli itself!

anyway, in his 'Clubbing' ( his first disco CD ) you can hear Ave Maria ( a
techno version, of course ).

That's it,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com