Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael Mayer" <mjmayer@h...>
Date:  Tue Jul 11, 2000  4:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Herbert-Caesari

Caio, I have read a couple of his books. Interesting for some history on the
bel canto school. He apparently worked closely with Gigli and a whole
chapter of one of his books is basically Gigli saying how he sang. Another
chapter talks about how the old vocal masters in Italy would find a "natural
talent" and have them sing and then ask him questions to find out what kinds
of sensations the singer had until they were able to put together some basic
ideas to emulate the natural singer. I would recommend reading his material,
but as with everything don't take it at face value. Some of the concepts
need to be absorbed before they make sense. Or maybe not, they may open the
door to new ideas that fill in some blanks for you.

Michael