Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Mon Jul 10, 2000  5:02 pm
Subject:  Re: Tenor head voice (longish; or: how all my vocal problems vanished:))

Dear Alain and list,

Something wonderful has happened: I discovered a part
of my throat I was only opening when singing low notes
and started opening this along my range. I'm doing
this since a week now, and it looks as if it solved
all my (vocal) problems.
The top of my passagio is easy now, chest notes from
A4 to D5 are possible without pushing, I don't have to
do anything to make a beautiful sound and I can sing
much louder and this suprisingly easy.

But more important than all that, is that I finally
have full control over my voice: I don't have to find
out how to sing a certain note, I just sing it;
support and vowel adjustment seem to happen all by
itself.

Now I also know how wrong it was, to use an extreme
amount of head voice, mode 1 or 2 or whatever it was I
have been experimenting with: that kind of tone is now
quite different from my normal tone and much softer,
besides that there is no need at all to use it. Using
all kinds of chest head mix (voix mixte) though, work
out great now and have a complete new quality, bigger
and not recognisable as head voice, just more silver
instead of gold, although I don't want to suggest that
my voice is as precious as those metals.

I'm very happy with this change, and still cannot
believe it really: it is so strange to sing an aria
like the Bildnissaria, and then discover that all the
things that were difficult are gone. In fact all the
higher notes I sing, feel as they have been
transposed.

Despite all this, this new way of opening my throat
does not affect the possibility to make very soft, yet
clear tones and/or to sing fast coleratures, the
things that mostly are associated with very light
tenors. In fact it has become even easier.

All this happened after my pianist made a very good
professional singer listen to the cd of our concert.
This singer was quite pleased and told my pianist what
the latter was thinking anway: that I should be able
to sing almost everything and certainly more than only
lieder and oratoria. It looks as if I have been
underestimating my own voice, both with regards to the
size as to the tone quality. But I must say that I am
happy I did that, I don't think it is bad to sing too
light for a while, and I even think that it forced me
to learn to sing mf and p in the passagio in a way I
might not have had the patience to otherwise.

Best greetings,
Dre

2941 Re: Tenor head voice (longish; or: how all my voc John Alexander Blyth   Tue  7/11/2000   2 KB

emusic.com