Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Mon Jul 10, 2000  2:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Music for Christian Science Church

In a message dated 7/9/00 8:48:29 PM, dalila@R... writes:

<< I remember one of the most satisfying weeks musically was when I was
supposed to sing "Come unto Him all ye that labour" from MESSIAH - that
was the musical selection I liked best of the 3-4 I had to choose from
that week. Well, I asked the woman in charge of musical selections whether
I could sing the first half of the piece - "He shall feed his flock". She
didn't know what I meant, at first. She had, in fact, never heard OF
Handel's MESSIAH, let alone heard it. So I wrote the text down for her and
she took it to the weekly meeting of the vestry (or whatever they call it
in CS churches), and they were absolutely delighted to discover such a
beautiful text that they never knew existed before (I guess it never came
up in one of their weekly "sermons") - so I got to sing the whole thing,
alto and soprano part - which was a real pleasure for me. >>

LOL!! I had lots of similar experiences. If I sang something from Mozart,
Mendelssohn, Handel or Bach, many in the CS congregation had never heard of
the work--and sometimes, the composer!

Maybe it's due (in part, at least) to the fact that they don't have choirs.

Judy

emusic.com