Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Jul 6, 2000  11:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Bach's choir, was: sight singing and piano skills

Fiona Chow wrote:

> My church choir only rehearses the morning of the service, most of
> the time. To be in the choir, one has to be able to sightread - well.
>
> Fiona

This is similar to my church choir - the 6 professional singers rehearse only
on Sunday
morning - 45 minutes before the early service (which we sing without the
volunteer choir
members), and another 45 with the volunteer choir members before the later
service. Only
the volunteer choir members - none expert musicians - attend the midweek
rehearsal. I am
amazed at the quantity of music that we 6 professional singers - all excellent
sightreaders who also have the skills to do a lot of preparation on our own
outside of the
rehearsal - can prepare with such little rehearsal time - and sound REALLY
good. Our
director gets lots of the credit - he is the best user of rehearsal time I've
ever worked
with, and he insists on excellent musical values as well as accuracy and beauty
- as do my
fellow singers.

Peggy

--