Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kubiak, Laurence L SSI-SMMS" <Laurence.l.Kubiak@I...>
Date:  Thu Jul 6, 2000  3:40 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Bach's choir, was: sight singing and pia no skills

British Cathedral choirs often only get one rehearsal - on the day - before
they have to perform.

Performing pieces previously unseen without rehearsal during services
happens from time to time as well.

It's all a matter of what one is used to. However, I have a private theory
that Bach almost never heard a performance of a concerted piece he found
satisfactory. I have another private theory that he composed to satisfy
himself and God, and the presence or absence of an audience was a matter of
indifference to him. This attitude, while uncommon, is not at all unusual
among composers; indeed it is close to my attitude to my own music.

Regards / vriendelijke groeten

Laurie Kubiak
Commercial Analyst - Europe & Africa SMMS
Sales and Contract Support, Shell Services International
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA
Telephone: +44 171 934 3853; Fax: +44 171 934 6674
Mobile: 07771 971 921: E.mail: Laurence.l.Kubiak@i...
Office: LON-SC 631

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2850 Re: Bach's choir, was: sight singing and pia no s John Alexander Blyth   Thu  7/6/2000   5 KB

emusic.com