Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Jul 6, 2000  12:21 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

>Fiona,
>
>Although our approaches vary, we actually seem to agree on a number of
>points. However in my experience, a few piano lessons won't do the trick. I
>can pick out my vocal line--although I often stumble on the rhythms (just
>clumsy fingering--and a recently broken/dislocated finger that refuses to go
>where I want it to doesn't help!). I can rarely play anything accurately at
>speed. If I tried to learn my music that way, I would indeed be severely
>handicapped.

Hi all,
Possibly a relevant detail I was reading of late.
JSBach had barely a week to teach his young and fairly
uncooperative boys the cantata or what-ever for the following
Sunday, and it's been a puzzle how he managed it each week?
Especially in view of its complexity.
It seems that he had two specific details he
regarded as essential. One was absolutely perfect rhythm
and the other was the boys hitting the pitch dead centre.
Any advance on this?
Regards Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2843 Re: sight singing and piano skills Sheila Graham   Thu  7/6/2000   2 KB
2859 Re: sight singing and piano skills Reg Boyle   Fri  7/7/2000   2 KB
2844 Re: sight singing and piano skills natural@w...   Thu  7/6/2000   4 KB
2846 Re: sight singing and piano skills John Alexander Blyth   Thu  7/6/2000   2 KB
2851 Re: sight singing and piano skills natural@w...   Thu  7/6/2000   5 KB
2855 Re: sight singing and piano skills John Alexander Blyth   Thu  7/6/2000   6 KB
2845 Bach's choir, was: sight singing and piano skills John Alexander Blyth   Thu  7/6/2000   3 KB

emusic.com