Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Wed Jul 5, 2000  5:41 pm
Subject:  Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors, was:Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: American School of Countertenors

Alain,
I agree with your assessment of Bach's Latin works as much as I appreciate
your own enthusiasm for this composer. I haven't had the leisure to check
just now, but I wonder if the Latin Bach learned as a boy might have been
accented rather oddly, or else perhaps his Latin instruction might have
been interrupted by the death of his parents and subsequent relocation. In
any case his wonderful sensitivity to his own language really does become
rather abstract to an almost mediaeval extent in his Latin settings. john

At 12:27 AM 6/30/00 +0200, you wrote:
... ...
>However, I have to say that I still find a huge gap between Bach's vocal
>works in latin and in German. In the latin works, the voice parts seem much
>more instrumental indeed, and it is more difficult to go beyond a certain
>coldness that one might feel at first. Bach felt probably less personnally,
>humanly implicated in works written to please the prince of Sachsen-Polen
>than in works written in his own daily language for his own singers and
>church.
>
>| Alain Zürcher, Paris, France
>| L'Atelier du Chanteur :
>| http://chanteur.net

>Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for trying @Backup
>Get automatic protection and access to your important computer files.
>Install today:

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada