Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alain Zürcher" <az@c...>
Date:  Wed Jul 5, 2000  12:00 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Seth Riggs, Speech Level Singing,Fu ll Resume and Artists.

Laurence Kubiak wrote :

<< The only one of these six whose singing I know is Rodney Gilfrey. What
are
the others like? What characteristics do they share? Do they share any
characteristics with the non-operatic SLS singers.>>

Didn't he sing Billy Budd at Paris Bastille three or four years ago? I
thought it was "Gilfry", but I may be mistaken.
It would be funny if precisely THIS singer would be a SLS student, since he
was very good-looking but considered as light-voiced (vs the rest of the
cast, including Robert Tear as Vere and Eric Halfvarson as Claggart!) by
several sources. Personnally, since I did not know the score at the time, I
thought Billy Budd was a tenor. A very good characterization, I thought: he
was like an angel out of a musical. I was much surprised when my voice
teacher assigned Billy Budd to me the year after. Indeed it fits my baritone
voice perfectly.

| Alain Zürcher, Paris, France
| L'Atelier du Chanteur :
| http://chanteur.net