Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Tue Jul 4, 2000  6:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Seth Riggs, Speech Level Singing,Fu ll Resume a...

In a message dated 07/04/2000 7:57:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Laurence.l.Kubiak@I... writes:

> Actually, this is what interests me. I don't buy the argument that there is
> just one 'vocal technique', good for all weathers, seasons and types of
> music, and that the difference between singing, say, opera and cante jondo
> is simply one of style. I think that within opera one finds singers whose
> employ very different, often opposing techniques. I think that even among
> singers of the same voice type performing the same repertoire one finds
> examples of opposing techniques.

Laurie,
THis is the heart of why I study voice and keep on pushing for accurate
vocal terms and understanding.
First, there shouldn't necessarily be one technique that works for
everyone, becuase of course, everyone learns in a different pattern. However,
there should be some kind of unity within the vocal community on what
constitutes healthy production. This should, again, be based off of accurate
understanding of how the vocal mechanism works.
Speech LEvel's goal is very simple, and is why it works, but also works
throughout many styles.
1) Connect the chest and head voices together so that a "mix" develops
and a seamless, connected sound is established
2) stabilize the larynx.........this does not mean a rigid function, but
we don't encourage raising the larynx artificially or lowering it.
3) keep the same ease and freedom of the speaking voice within the
singing voice. This means not adding a bunch of "over-culture" to the voice.
Once that is established, one can move into application of style and
deciding what genre might best fit the timbre of the students voice. However,
they would not be limited by technique but by the limitations and
expectations of a style of music.

One side bar...........I'm amazed that people continue to annihilate
Seth's results...........I know of no other teacher who has had the results
he has. And remember, I only pulled out a few names........nearly 40% of his
studio is Opera students. I have ANgela Blasi's resume in my hand right now,
if you all really want me to post it. My point being two-fold;
1) Who else do you know has had the results that he has had. NOt a
school, but one teacher.
2) WHy not give him credit for the knowledge he has, learn from it, apply
it, and build on it as a teacher. SLS is not THE WAY, but it is a proven and
tried way that deserves to be acknowledged and added to ones understanding of
vocal pedagogy.
Sincerely,
Mary Beth Felker

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3065 Re: Seth Riggs, Speech Level Singing,Fu ll Resum Kubiak, Laurence L SSI-SMMS   Wed  7/19/2000   4 KB

emusic.com