Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Fri Jun 30, 2000  4:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Riggs/Allen

In a message dated 06/30/2000 7:15:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
eddurbro@c... writes:

> So there seem to be some 'Riggs' teachers here. Does he train teachers, or
> are these people who have studied voice with him and assimilate his
> technique?

Dear Ed,
Here's a question I feel I can answer adequately.
Up until 6 months ago, there was not a certification process for those
who studied and taught under Speech Level Singing. The certification process
was generated for basically three reasons.
1) To stop people who had not "studied" with Seth from saying they had
and then generating false business and a faulty name for SLS. .
2) To provide an accounting system to insure the quality of instruction
from Speech Level Singing Instructors.
3) To provide a group of instructors with training and support in
learning this technique and also in continuing their education as vocal
instructors.
The certification process is three-pronged as of now, but is still
getting the kinks worked out.
In order to become a Speech Level Instructor one must meet the following
criteria:
1) Studied Speech LEvel singing for at least one year.
2) Been "in business" as a teacher for at least one year
3) Studied a certain number of hours under a Level 5 instructor or Seth
within that year. (There are five levels of certification based on how long
one has studied SLS)
Although, this certification does not complete ones education nor does it
guarantee that a teacher will be really gifted at what they do; the process
is an attempt to generate a high level of competency and accountability of
all the teachers within this organization.
Hope this answers some of your questions.

emusic.com