Vocalist.org archive

From:  eddurbro@c...
Date:  Wed Aug 30, 2000  3:14 pm
Subject:  Riggs/Allen

>My former teacher says his technique is very much similar to Allen's. I'm
>really interested in buying his book. Riggs's doesn't give much technical
>explanation ( I had to get it from other SLS sources ) . Do you think their
>techniques differ a lot? How?

Allen seems to be more in the tried and true mainstream.

>But what I meant when I asked what people thought of
>his technique, was the outcome of it, the practical results. What do you
>think? And comparing that to Allen's?

I only ever heard one singer who studied with Riggs and he was great at
gospel. I think it's hard to judge the teacher by the book. Obviously Riggs
has had a great deal of success. He helped me because his was the first
method I got and I went from doing nothing to doing something. I don't have
a teacher so a tape was helpful.
In my opinion, of the methods I have, the book and CD from Allen is much
better, -that is, much more information and exercises are there. What he is
like as a teacher, I have no idea.
My needs and views are probably different from most here though, because I
am a beginner as far as singing goes.

So there seem to be some 'Riggs' teachers here. Does he train teachers, or
are these people who have studied voice with him and assimilate his
technique?

cheers,

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan