Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Jun 28, 2000  3:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] renitis, jaw tension, back problems, etc

I don't buy that explanation. It sounds like reverse reasoning. You
probably have some type of occlusal problem (your jaw and upper teeth do not
come together properly) which over the years has led to an imbalance in the
muscles resulting in jaw tension. Nursing or not is irrelevant.

It might be necessary to do jaw surgery to correct it but be careful that
you do not do anything without exploring it in depth and getting a second
and/or third opinion.

John

John Messmer, M.D., Medical Director
University Physician Group, Palmyra, PA 17078
> I've been wearing a mouth guard to sleep and that has helped a lot with
the
> tension, but I still have articulatory problems opening the mouth ( it
> doesn't open evenly, and when I open it a little wider it 'compensates' to
> the right ).
>
> I've gone to some dentists but now I've found out one who is really
> different. He says he studied in Germany and his technique is based on the
> idea that most people with the problems I refered to above breathe through
> their mouths....That is generally due to short or
> sparse breastfeeding, since our suction, chewing and swallowing mechanisms
> are developed in that period of our lives ( before that the baby feeds on
> amniotic liquid in the mother ) and is forced, due to a 'busy mouth', to
> breathe in and out through the nose...He said those mechanisms force the
child, while been breastfed, to adjust
> their spines and mouths appropriately and to develop the muscles in the
face
> so that the suction is successful and that has the 'side-effect' of
> adjusting the jaw ( and the muscles related to it ) and the other muscles
in
> the neck around it properly...Have you ever heard of that? What do you
think?

emusic.com