Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Wed Jun 28, 2000  2:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] German Operetta Baritone Arias

Well Bill,

When it comes to German operetta numbers, there really
are loads! They just take a bit of scouring! There's
the pig song from Die Zigeunerbaron (humourous, and
should be sung in English if you've a predominately
English speaking audience!) also Barinkays' aria from
the same opera, although that's a real high baritone
piece. Actually, that's generally the trouble with
German operetta; they're often written for baritenor!

Another gem, and hardly ever done, but it's a
wonderful sing, is Two Eyes of Magic from the Circus
Princess by Kalman. It starts off Belliniesque, and
then becomes very dramatic, and has two versed of the
most glorious melody. Of course, there are Danilo's
things from The Merry Widow, but again, you need a
high lying voice for these too.

Hope these have been of some help. I love to sing
operetta myself. You get glorious melodies, and
they're a good challenge to sing. I invariably sing
them in English: there's some good translations. There
is absolutely no point in singing operetta in any
other language than the country you're in. Eg: There
would be no point in singing Pirates of Penzance in
English to a bunch of Italians, it would be
gobbledegook. Likewise, with German. Most English
audiences haven't a clue, and if something's obviously
funny, it would go over their heads. Sort of
pointless, when we as singers are communicators!

Anyway, hope that's of some use: I'll try and think of
some more, but that was just off the top of my
hair-do!

Best wishes,

Ian Voice technician. Bromley, Kent, England