Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Tue Jun 27, 2000  7:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

> I just want to add to this discussion that, as is obvious from the number
of different responses, "there is more than one way to skin a cat"!!!!!

Lisa-Marie - you are soooo RIGHT! We often forget that. Even for one
person, learning methods may vary. I know perhaps I should be consistent in
the way i learn music (like each time i want to learn a new piece, i should
sit down and play it on the p iano, and then listen to a recording, etc.
etc), but I am often not! Sometimes I listen to a recording a couple of
times, many times i either am learning obscure music that isn't recorded, or
I just don't have the recording, and instead i learn it on the piano first.
Other times, I'll try to sight sing it. And still other times, I might get
a good pianist friend to play it for me (very rare, and mostly done
spontaneously so that said pianist can also hear the piece too!).

I do suppose that if you have a variety of resources (computer tech.)
and can BOTH sight sing and play the piano well, you have many ways to get
to your goal, and maybe that's a better thing, I don't know. I'm only
speculating. It would make life very interesting, I would imagine!

Fiona

emusic.com