Vocalist.org archive

From:  janis saj <wadijedo@a...>
Date:  Mon Jun 26, 2000  2:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] my first solo

Hello listers,
I want to thank all of you for your thoughtful comments about my solo singing.
I had gotten up the next morning (Sat.) and watch the video about 3 times and
every time I saw it something different was in there that was not good. I cryed
and said to myself, that's it I am not going to put myself in that vulnerable
position again. Then I took the tape to my daughter's house and had her watch
it, and she cried. I tried to point out the things that were not good. And she
counted them, and there was about 4 words, and on some parts breath support
(lack of) made me sound thin. But once I put the critical person aside I
realize that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, I was looking for all the
negative and none of the positive. Then someone read this to me:
"It is not the critic who counts in life, nor the man who points out how this
strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The
credit belongs to the man and woman who is actually in the arena, whose face is
marred by dust and sweat and blood. Who strives valiantly, who errors and comes
up short again and again.
Because there is not effort without error and shortcomings. Who knows the great
devotions, who spent himself in worthy cause. Who at their best knows in the
end of a high achievement of triumph? Who at worst if he fails by caring
greatly knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know
neither victory or defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
I am going to read this whenever I need to sing.
So thank you again
Janis

$1 million in prizes! 20 daily instant winners.
AltaVista Rewards: Click here to win!
http://shopping.altavista.com/e.sdc?e=3