Vocalist.org archive

From:  Line Gingras <lgingras@c...>
Date:  Mon Jun 26, 2000  4:58 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] my first solo

Hello Janis,

I feel for you. I know more than a little about knees knocking, about
forgetting everything about
technique (just supposing that I do have a smattering of technique). But what
about lips trembling?
What about forgetting the words? What about missing an entrance? I didn't read
about those things
happening to you; and if they didn't, you do have something to be more than
happy about. On the
contrary, you admit that the bride and groom cried during your song! Now this,
to me, seems quite an
accomplishment. Not only was your pronunciation extremely good, obviously, but
your interpretation
had to be very moving too : the bride and groom, I imagine, chose that song
because they already
knew and loved it; and if they knew the words already, I just can't believe
that it's only the words
that made them cry -- it had to be your interpretation of the words and the
music, however imperfect
it sounded to you. A song I love might make me cry, but only if I were moved by
the interpretation.

It's certainly a good thing that you want to do better, because it's the way to
improve. But I think
you should be happy that you were able to do as well as you did -- and that you
created a special,
wonderful moment for the bride and groom, which is really the best that could
be hoped for. Think of
it, that was the first time you sang as a soloist, and you made people cry!

Line

emusic.com