Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Sun Jun 25, 2000  11:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

In a message dated 6/24/00 2:14:42 PM, peggyh@i... writes:

<< This is true - but there's a LOT of competition out there. The singer who
can learn the
notes and rhythms of a role quickly and on his/her own and thereby have an
easier time of
working it into the voice and singing it well has an edge.

I agree--but you don't have to master the piano to be able to do this!

If you can sight sing well (a far more important skill for a singer than
piano) then you don't need to waste time having someone pound notes for you.

If you can't sight sing, another approach is to have a coach record the song,
aria, whatever in what I call "loudfinger"--sketching in the accompaniment
but primarily playing the vocal line--and use the tape to master the notes.

I never said that playing the piano is not a valuable skill, quite the
contrary. But if time and money are limited, as they are in my case, I
believe that it's a much better investment to become a good reader (shouldn't
take as long, either!)

Judy

emusic.com