Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Jun 24, 2000  8:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] score reading

Isabelle Bracamonte wrote:

> I second that! Whoever suggested this -- how in the
> world do you train for such a skill? I know that
> people who have been pianists since childhood can
> often instantly hear a melody line they look at, but
> how does an adult go about trying to learn this? Just
> sitting with a pile of scores and some recordings, and
> listening through? Are there people who will teach
> this kind of auditory skill?

I once met a young woman (daughter of an acquaintance) who had just returned
from her
first year at Eastman School of Music. She was not a pianist, but a violinist.
Her piano
skills were basic. There, each student was required to practice score-reading
1/2 hour
every day. At the piano. It didn't matter how good it sounded. It could be
anything from
a choral score (not the accompaniment) to a string quartet, etc. She said it
was
difficult, but by the end of the year she had developed considerable facility.

So go to your local music library, check out some music, and start score
reading.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...