Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Jun 24, 2000  8:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

sopran@a... wrote:

> I've never heard of any singer anywhere who won a role because he or she
> could play the piano. Have you? Opera companies want someone who can SING the
> role. They don't give a damn how you learn your music, as long as you do
> learn it correctly and on time.

This is true - but there's a LOT of competition out there. The singer who can
learn the
notes and rhythms of a role quickly and on his/her own and thereby have an
easier time of
working it into the voice and singing it well has an edge.

And when one goes to the coach with notes already mastered, the singer can more
productively start to work on vocal and musical refinements. This gives the
singer with
these skills an edge. Which never hurts. Because there are lots of great
voices and
talented singers out there. These skills can't substitute for a good vocal
technique or a
quality vocal instrument. And I'm sure the lack of these skills can and is often
compensated for, but why leave things to chance?

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com