Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Fri Jun 23, 2000  10:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Height/Range (was pitch differences, bach and basses)

Tako,
Yes, that 'zone' is right, feels pretty exact actually!
It's odd that you should mention the downward crossing of the passaggio,
since I tend to think of it as something that I have to 'deal with' going
up! I do notice that in descending from a high head tone, if I allow too
much 'chest' too soon, it sounds and feels bad - there is a point,
inadequately explored by me so far, where it is safe for me to allow things
to open up and to exploit more of the 'chest' resonance.
I must say though: so much of what I try to do I just don't have words
for. Our language is completely inadequate to describe the subtlties of
kinaesthesia involved in singing, which is why I use quotes for 'chest'.
The best insights I've got from this list (and there have been many) have
come because I was ready to understand this or that little nuggett of
wisdom, and then someone has posted just the right thing to make the
connection for me.
john