Vocalist.org archive

From:  Kylie Purcell <furrball@a...>
Date:  Fri Jun 23, 2000  5:17 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Jennifer wrote:

> I can't play piano well enough to play most piano parts at tempo, so if I
> can't find a recording to listen to (not to learn my notes unless I'm really
> short on time, but to figure out what's going on in the accompaniment and to
> practice where to come in), I'll often enter the music into my computer and
> have my music notation program play it back for me. And as soon as I can
> scrape together the money, I'm going to buy Midiscan or a similar program so
> I can just scan the music in.

I agree! Modern techonology *is* wonderful especially when something as
small as a Palm Pilot can be taken about in your pocket and perform the
same function. I think that it can be wonderful for 'notebashing',
provided the person can build upon it and introduce the relevant
interpretative markings and so on that make it "musical" not merely
technically sound.

Kylie

emusic.com