Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Thu Jun 22, 2000  10:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Head voice range (was: Height/Range)

Dear Tako and list,
--- Tako Oda <toda@m...> wrote:
Many? How many lyric tenors have a workable F5? I
> can think of two off
> the top of my head, but I don't think the standard
> repertoire ever
> expects higher than C#5...
Workable is another thing. I heard many things about
the high tenor range that confuse me a lot. As far as
I understand, in the belacanto age, tenors used to
develop their head range higher then now. The F5 from
Bellini's I Puritani was supposed to be sung like
that, although I heard rumours that Pavarotti did it
in chest. (No, I'm sorry I won't make the
translational freudian typo again.)

Schonberg in his 'The Virtuosi' mentions two belcanto
tenors that reached F5 and even G5 in an impressive
way: Giovanni Battista Rubini and his successor Mario.
It is not clear what technique they used, but Chopin
heard Rubini and wrote 'Rubini (...)took his high
notes authentically without using falssetto' and the
other people quoted at least said that no breaks
between the normal and the extra high tenor register
could be heard. Schonberg suggest they used a mix of
head and chest.

The 'many lyrical tenors' was my own interpretation: I
heard some of them saying so and I can do so, so why
not others, I am not a vocal miracle!

Best greetings,
Dre

2635 Re: Head voice range (was: Height/Range) Tako Oda   Thu  6/22/2000   2 KB
2659 Re: Head voice range (was: Height/Range) Tako Oda   Fri  6/23/2000   2 KB

emusic.com