Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Thu Jun 22, 2000  2:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

--

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 22:48:25
Isabelle Bracamonte wrote:
Is it enough to win the lottery, thus spending a few
hours a week having a coach (or, more cheaply, a piano
student with good sight-reading and/or bashing-through
skills) teach you the notes? I get the opinion that
your status with general directors and such goes down
the tubes if you aren't known in the industry as a
Very Good Musician.>

Isabelle-

I don't think that having a few hours a week coaching a role necessarily means
your ar not a Very Good Musician. I think a combination of all of the methods
you have described is vital. Yes, it is important to be able to sight read.
Yes, it is important to have some measure of piano skills so you can find
enought chords to vocally find your part in a score. And YES, it is important
to work with a coach/pianist. I don't know any professional singers who learn
roles without one. I think the stories about singers who can't read a note of
music and who go to coaches to "teach them the notes" are rare. And no
director in his/her right mind would ever not work with you because you had
worked with a coach first.

My .02

Lisa-Marie

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct

emusic.com