Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@i...>
Date:  Thu Jun 22, 2000  10:57 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] process vs. product

Alain wrote:
> This remembers me of Renée Fleming! ;-)
>
> In every opera with her that I have seen, she was gorgeous in the main
aria
> of the heroin, but absolutely dull and apparently bored in the rest of
her
> part. When it happens every time, it is not a coincidence, it is a
system.
> With the arias, she gets the parts and sells the CDs.

This reflects my sentiments as well. I guess I'm still surprised that Ms.
Fleming is considered to be so "great" by so many. I can only take her in
small doses, recorded or live. I thought for some time that I must be
mistaken in my judgement or have reached a hasty conclusion based on a
couple of lack-luster performances, so I actively sought out more of her
work. The more I hear and see, the less fond I become of her. I've
stopped seeking and have decided that I simply don't care for her as a
performer.

Sandra

emusic.com